Dresser Set Do-over

20130705-190156.jpg
I found this cheap dresser set at a garage sale and I mean CHEAP! Thirty dollars to be exact.

20130705-190457.jpg
They needed some TLC but they had awesome potential.
After convincing the hubby to pick them up for me, I got to work. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them. I left them white overall (hey, the less work on my end, the better). I used my “staining” technique on the tops. I taped off the edges of the drawers leaving the faces exposed, mixed up my trusty taupe color into a chalk paint (chalk paint tutorial ) and brushed it on the drawer faces. I let it dry 30 minutes before lightly sanding and coating with Minwax finishing paste.

20130705-222843.jpg

20130705-223136.jpg
Now these babies were ready for glaze. I normally like to mix my own antiquing glaze with a glazing medium and color of my choice but for this project I used Valspar Antiquing Glaze. It’s a little thicker and pretty easy to use but it is very dark so be careful! I painted it on each piece a couple square feet at a time, making sure to get it in all of the crevices. Then I wiped it of with a slightly damp rag.

20130705-223828.jpg
After securing the knobs and pulls, I decided to give them a little pop! I had some really thick wrapping paper from Hobby Lobby that I cut to fit the inside of the drawers for lining.

20130705-224734.jpg
It just gives them a little something extra. They sold in two days! I think I’ll be lining all of my drawers from now on.

20130705-225407.jpg

20130705-225643.jpg

Advertisements

One thought on “Dresser Set Do-over

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s